Indie Game Releases of the Week: 2nd to 8th September 2019
01 Sep, 2019
This week in indie games, we have the actiony Creature in the Well, the classic ARPG Torchlight II, the beat-em-up River City Girls, and more.
September is bringing with it a few indie titles we’ve been waiting on for a while now, but there’s a lot of other titles to look out for, especially if you’re playing on the Switch. Here’s our round-up of what’s coming this week.
Torchlight II (3rd September on PS4, Xbox One, Switch)
Developer: Runic Games
Publisher: Perfect World
Torchlight II is releasing again? What year is this?! The classic indie RPG from 2012 is coming back—this time on current-gen consoles. Its developer Runic Games since went defunct in 2017, so publisher Perfect World is picking up the port. In the game, you pick one of four classes and chase after an alchemist who’s laid the town of Torchlight to waste. If you like Diablo, then you’ll be right at home with this one.
Children of Morta (3rd September on PC, Mac)
Developer: Dead Mage
Publisher: 11 bit studios
Children of Morta is a story-driven action RPG set in a fantasy world, in which you control the varied members of the Bergson family. The game features roguelike elements as well, so it promises to be a fresh experience each time you play. It’s coming out on consoles in October.
River City Girls (5th September on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)
River City Girls is a good ol’ fashioned brawler set in the good ol’ fashioned world of Kunio-kun (remember River City Ransom, from 1989?). What’s not old fashioned, though, is that the girlfriends in this one are out to kick butt and save their abducted boyfriends. The game’s a beat-em-up, and it also supports co-op, so consider grabbing a friend.
Sin Slayers (6th September on PC, Mac, Linux)
Publisher: Black Tower Entertainment
Sin Slayers hearkens back to classic JRPGs with its turn-based combat style and pixel art visuals, but it’s thoroughly modern, what with its roguelike elements. The decisions you make in this dark fantasy game will determine how easy or difficult your adventure will be.
Creature in the Well (6th September on PC, Xbox One, Switch)
Developer: Flight School Studio
Publisher: Flight School Studio
Creature in the Well asks the ever-important question that action games have been so far too afraid to deal with: “What if we fought all pinball-like?”. This stylised dungeon crawler has you facing down the titular creature, but your fighting and puzzle-solving is all going to be done using pinball-inspired mechanics. Check out our previous coverage of the game here.
Other Indie Releases
- Barrier X (3rd September on Switch)
- Fin and the Ancient Mystery (3rd September on Switch)
- Gaijin Charenji 1: Kiss or Kill (4th September on Xbox One)
- Post War Dreams (4th September on Xbox One)
- Himmo (4th September on Xbox One)
- Nubla (4th September on PC)
- Monochrome Order (4th September on Xbox One)
- Throne Quest Deluxe (5th September on Xbox One)
- Asdivine Menace (5th September on Switch)
- Widower’s Sky (5th September on PC)
- Space Cows (5th September on PC, Switch)
- Gnomes Garden: Lost King (5th September on Switch)
- Hyperforma (5th September on Switch)
- Wuppo: Definitive Edition (5th September on Switch)
- Pocket Clothier (5th September on Switch)
- Headliner: NoviNews (5th September on Switch)
- Restless Hero (6th September on PC, Xbox One)
- Remothered: Tormented Fathers (6th September on Switch)
- Super Jumpy Ball (6th September on Switch)
- Hoodo (7th September on PC)